Waters Farm- Sutton, MA
site by Alive & Dreaming Designs
Captain Cornelius Putnam Blacksmith Shop
The blacksmith shop at Waters Farm was used until the death of Nathan Waters in 1878. After Nathan’s death it fell into disrepair and was eventually torn down in 1890 according to Nathan’s great granddaughter, Dorothea Waters Moran.
This new blacksmith shop, constructed by a farm crew in 1995 and dedicated on October 1, 1995, is named for Captain Cornelius Putnam. Captain Putnam was born in Sutton on January 28, 1782 and died at age 81 in 1863. He was a blacksmith by trade and also served as Captain of the Oxford Militia. Captain Putnam was a regular visitor at Waters Farm as his daughter Ulva was married to Nathan Waters in 1831.
Russell Sibley Putnam, whose mother was born in the Waters Farm house, was the fifth generation to own the Captain’s home and Blacksmith Shop located at the corner of Sutton Avenue and Joe Jenny Road in Oxford . He generously donated the bellows and tools used by the Putnam family for many years to Waters Farm.
The Blacksmith Shop is a very popular destination during Fall Farm Days and other farm events with the able assistance of Board of Directors member Fran Donnelly and others who are carrying on the blacksmith tradition. The Blacksmith Shop will also be a part of the Educational Curriculum being unveiled in 2008.
The forge and chimney were built by John Rogers from Northbridge, MA.
~Tour Waters Farm~
|MAIN HOUSE||COOK BARN||2-BAY WAGON SHED||DARLING BARN||BLACKSMITH SHOP|
|SHINGLE MILL||6-BAY WAGON SHED||SUGAR HOUSE||FORESTRY TRAILS||FANTASTIC PHOTOS|